Packed with nutrients, light and super-tasty – filled avocados are the ultimate on-the-go snack. And even better, they will leave you feeling fuller for longer than a carb-heavy alternative.
Avocados have a subtle flavour, so it’s important not to overload them with ingredients that will completely steal the show.
A salad of chopped tomatoes, lime juice, fresh coriander and crispy bacon bits is a sure-fire winner, as is the classic smoked salmon and cream cheese.
Ingredients (makes 2-4 servings):
2 avocados, 100 grams cream cheese, 4 slices bacon, 50 grams smoked salmon, 2 tomatoes, 1 spring onion, 2 tablespoons parsley or coriander (finely chopped), 1 tablespoon chives, 1 lime, 1 lemon, salt, pepper
1. Wash and dry the tomatoes, remove the seeds and finely dice.
2. Wash the spring onion, remove the roots and the dark green part, and cut into small rings.
3. Wash and dry the herbs. Finely chop parsley or coriander, and cut chives into small rings.
4. Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan without oil until brown and crispy. Place on a piece of kitchen towel to drain the excess fat and allow them to cool. Cut into small pieces.
5. Roughly chop the salmon.
6. Wash and dry the lemon and lime and scrape off some of the zest (about half).
7. Season the cream cheese with salt and pepper and mix together with the salmon, chives, lemon zest and lemon juice.
8. Combine the tomatoes with spring onions, bacon, lime zest, lime juice and parsley or coriander.
9. Cut the avocados in half and remove the seed. Using a small spoon, carefully remove some of the flesh. Fill one avocado with the salmon mixture and the other with the bacon mixture.